Melrose, Massachusetts, Divorce Modification Lawyers

Under Massachusetts General Laws c. 199A, s.13 that limits retroactive modification and c. 208, s. 28 regulating modification of care, custody and maintenance of children, changing a divorce judgment or paternity order is difficult but possible in the Commonwealth. New Hampshire, likewise, sets out a very specific set of criteria that must be met in order to get a modification petition approved.

The Criteria For A Modification Are Strict And The Process Is Complicated

In general, modifications will only be granted for child support and alimony if the petitioner can demonstrate a change of circumstances that has impacted his or her ability to meet the obligation for three years. In cases of a custodial parent wishing to relocate the child to another address that would negatively impact the other parent’s visitation and parenting rights, the petitioner must demonstrate that the child’s welfare would not be impacted. A successful relocation petition often requires a negotiated approval by the non-custodial parent.

Learn more about modification of orders at Causes For Modifications To Massachusetts Alimony Terms.

If your circumstances have changed and you need to petition the court for a modification of your divorce judgment or paternity order in Middlesex County, Essex County or southern New Hampshire, talk to an attorney at Martino Law Group, in Melrose, Massachusetts. We know how high the stakes are and we know what the court expects to see in the way of evidence to support your case.