Child support is a way for both parents to provide financial support for children when both parents do not live in the same household. It can be ordered even in cases of joint custody. The parent who earns a higher wage is often responsible for paying child support. However, there are other factors such as parenting time, child care expenses, and health and dental coverage. In order to comply with court ordered child support payments in Massachusetts, you must follow a specific procedure. Below is some information that may help on this and other related topics.

Payments to DOR

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) tracks child support payments. Therefore, all payments should be sent to DOR. DOR will then forward funds to the appropriate parties. Payments should never be given directly to the other parent since it will not be properly credited towards the court ordered child support payments in Massachusetts.

Paycheck Withholdings

You may be ordered to pay child support through income withholdings. This means that a certain amount is automatically withheld from your paycheck every pay period. It may take a few weeks to set this up, so be sure to make payments directly to DOR in the meantime.

MA Child Support Enforcement

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue Enforcement Division is responsible for overseeing and enforcing child support payments in Massachusetts. They can assist with setting up direct deposits, tracking payment history, requesting changes to support orders, and other helpful services through their website. They can also take administrative action in cases where a parent fails to pay child support. This can include levies against bank accounts or suspension of a driver’s license.

More on Child Support Payments in Massachusetts

The above is a simplified look at child support payments in Massachusetts. The actual calculation of payments can be complex as is determining who should pay child support. Given the financial impact that the decision can have on you and your family, you may want to obtain legal assistance with this process. Your attorney can review your case and recommend ways to best protect your interests. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.